User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

SRINAGAR: Kashmir University on Friday issued a statement on the blaze that engulfed varsity’s Zabarwan guest house, saying case of fire was "apparently due to an electric short circuit." In a statement, varsity’s spokesperson said: “The blaze unexpectedly spread fast, laterally as well as vertically, within a few minutes. The fire tenders were immediately called in to douse the raging flames”. 


He added Vice Chancellor along with officials of the University was present at the spot to monitor the fire rescue operations. “One block of the guest house, which was presently under renovation, was saved and remained untouched by the fire. However, damage was caused to the office block, reception and dining hall,” he said. 


He further said enquiry into the fire incident has been ordered by Vice Chancellor. Pertinent to mention here that KU PRO in his statement has also paid gratitude to SDPO Hazratbal, and his team, local youth from Hazratbal, members of university’s proctor wing and disaster management cell who helped in dousing the flames.